Sunday, May 20, 2012

Odd Jobs and Check Lists

I WAS ACTUALLY PRODUCTIVE TODAY!

Which is basically a miracle considering a.) my normal self, and b.) I got up at noon.

Nonetheless, today I had 3 items on my to-do list: paint a bookshelf, put my old trophies into boxes, and bring a mattress upstairs from the basement and make the bed in the guest room.

I DID THEM ALL! It was super great.

Let's see. I also watched Tangled and took a shower. Tangled is seriously one of THE cutest movies ever made! I'm slightly obsessed. But it's whatever.

ON TO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS. God is awesome. But really. I s'pose I should elaborate on how I rediscovered this only today/last night. I've been very intrigued with how He made Paul. Paul is obviously a very remarkable character in the Bible. My mom says she doesn't like him. She didn't say why. But whatever.

Yeah, so Paul. I was reading 1 Corinthians 6 & 7 last night for kicks and giggles, and it talked a lot about sexual sin and the like, but what I really enjoyed about chapter 6 was the very last verse: "For God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." I had been thinking about exercising and hygiene and things like that (don't ask me why; I'm just weird) and then coming across this reminded me that not only do my mind and spirit need to be healthy in order to glorify God, but so does my body. There is a line, though. It isn't about obsessing over the way you look, it's about staying healthy and fit so you can do whatever God calls you to do whenever He calls you to it. He made our bodies this way for a reason, so it only makes sense that we take really good care of them. If we focus on God and doing everything we can to obey Him, then our bodies will come along with that.

Then I kept reading into chapter 7 just for fun because the reading hadn't made me sleepy yet (which it usually does, because I'm not too big on reading). I would recommend reading this if you are married, or are getting married. I appreciate the fact that Paul recognizes that this is totally his opinion and not a commandment of God, but I would personally take this as a fair guideline to follow in marriage.

What was interesting though was that Paul talks about being single, and how he thinks it's better than getting married. The only thing is, that if being single causes us to sin and lust and long for another person, we should just get married - "But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It is better to marry than to burn with lust.


This is just food for thought. I haven't fully grasped it yet, nor do I understand it in its entirety.

I did kind of think Paul sounded a little conceited when he wrote this passage, though. I don't know, maybe he's right, but I think marriage is a beautiful thing that God designs for us to enjoy in Him. Paul thrived being single, but it isn't for everyone. Clearly, God calls each of us to different things, which Paul does address in this passage.

Really I'm just enjoying learning more about Paul's letters and what he has to say! I need someone to talk back and forth with it though. I'll work on that.

I'm starting to work on making a new bracelet. I'm really excited for church tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment