Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pastors and Preachers

Today I sang at church #1, attended half of Sunday school, and played piano at church #2. Got paid for church #2, ate lunch at Grandma's, went home and napped until 5:30, and went to church with the youngins. I'm Skyping with one of my close friends from school tonight! So that should be super fun!

Anyway, something I thought about today while my pastor was preaching: I think a lot of the time, members of a community like mine, who are part of the church congregation, are really petty a lot of the time. And I feel like they look for any little sign of the pastor failing or sinning or doing something wrong just to have something to talk about and to try to make themselves better by thinking of him as a hypocrite.

Well anyway, I really like my pastor. Today he was talking about how he is a crazy driver and how he gets angry at people when he drives and stuff, and he talks about that a lot. I think it's funny. But today what I realized was that he's good at being vulnerable. Which is what we're called to be in a body of Christ. Almost everyone in the congregation was/is wearing a mask - they look pretty and calm to show up on Sunday mornings and hear Rev preach, making small talk along the way that means nothing, but they're never real with each other. What's sad is that the truth doesn't come out until someone's drunk. And yes, I am still talking about "Christians". Which is the saddest part.

It's people like this, I've noticed, who want Rev to fall, to make a mistake, so they can find a reason to complain about him. It's funny though: he's one of the most dedicated men of God that I know. People complain about small things that don't matter. Maybe we need a lesson in complaining, as in NOT DOING IT. I realized the Catch 22 in complaining about people who complain. I'm not trying to complain, just state the facts that everyone makes mistakes, but it's how they choose to repent and react that either grows them or tears 'em down.

I feel like that was kind of a ramble.

In other news, I'm writing my friend a letter. Which I think is kind of funny. We live quite close to each other physically, but hardly ever have time to interact in person for any length of time, especially an extended length of time. AND this friend will be out of town for 2 weeks so I've decided to write a letter explaining what's new in my life that said friend would be interested in and talk about my day.

I s'pose that's all. I have business to attend to, and it's almost midnight! Ahh I'm so behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment