Friday, June 8, 2012

Hmmm...

I find it harder and harder to write when I get tired.

Anyway, I worked this morning (11-4) and then I went to graduation to watch some of my babies graduate. (: It was special.

A couple of my friends are coming over soon to stay the night. That should be fun! Even though I have to work in the morning so I won't get to see them for long. :(

Okay so this whole idea of pacifism is really getting to me lately while I'm still reading Jesus For President. Today as one of the graduates, and good friend of mine, gave her speech, she talked a lot about service. And in the middle of that, she said to take a moment to recognize and honor all the people serving in the military and armed forces.

But when you think about that from a biblical standpoint, does it really seem biblical? Armed... Forces... people with guns and weapons of mass destruction out to "defend" our country by killing people living in another country because they're different. That sure doesn't sound like the love of Jesus to me. I'm at a crossroads here. How do I thank someone for being a part of our nations's military? As Christians we are not supposed to pledge allegiance to this country, but to God, to Jesus, to His people. Not the government. Not the military. These people shot guns, fired them at other people. I mean duh, it's radical to say that we should just not fight, but it's radical to people because they don't know anything BUT war. Peace is a foreign concept to many.

I struggle with this because I, myself, am to love everyone. So how do I get from judging the people who do kill other people to simply not killing myself, not supporting "the troops" and making sure my allegiance stays to God and NOT to the United States? My prayer for myself is that I make God my sole focus, that He will give me strength to face each day with the love, grace, and mercy for each person on this planet that He showed for me through His Son Jesus when he slaughtered Him to take away my sins.

People always talk about being "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate" or other really random things, and often I've tried to describe myself within these constraints to figure out where I stand in the midst of this. But what I'm realizing is that I am nowhere on this scale, because it is OF THE WORLD. I am call to be NOT OF THIS WORLD. In it, not of it.

So yes, by the world's standards, I am liberal because I believe that peace is possible, love is a better option than war, and that we should share all that we own with others who need it or want it.

On that note, I am also conservative by the world's standards, because I believe that it is wrong to get an abortion, wrong to be gay, modest is hottest, cursing is bad, and manners are necessary.

But do you also notice that it seems almost as if "liberals" actually stand FOR something, whereas "conservatives" seem only to stand AGAINST a multitude of things? This is where I believe Jesus was a liberal.

Everyone knows He was a radical guy. He completely altered the course of history and religion and the lives of people as we (they) know (knew) it. But he was not liberal, or conservative. He was perfect. He was Jesus. He was love. A love that broke the chains of politics, and set His people free from the captivity of this world.

This is the God that I serve: One who loves, who provides, who shows graces and mercy and is humble. Not one who pays me, or waves a red, white, and blue flag over my head, or "supports our troops", or strives for power and success.

Jesus For President.

No comments:

Post a Comment