Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Conversations

So today I was at work, talking to one of the girls I work with and her cousin who was just standing at the window because we were slow and bored and whatnot. And I don't remember exactly what brought up the conversation, but I do remember talking about dying or something, I mean it was really light-hearted and really just joking around and stuff and this girl, Rachel, who I work with said well something didn't matter (like I said, I don't remember the conversation) because she was going to be cremated.

OH NOW I REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS. We were talking about being organ donors, like on our drivers' licenses, and her cousin, Paige, was like, "Ew, why would you do that? I'm not gonna do that!" And so I explained to her (because she's like 13) that it just meant that if you die in a car accident or something the medics have permission to use your organs for living people who need them, and that when I'm dead I'm not going to have any use for them. That's when Rachel (15) said she was going to be cremated.

Okay yeah. Then I said, "I'm want to be cremated too because I'll take up less space that way. And when I'm dead it won't matter!" They both just kind of laughed at that. And then, kind of out of nowhere, and I almost surprised myself by saying this out loud, to these girls whom I barely know, but I just randomly said, "You know, I'm just really tired of living here, and I wish I could die and go to Heaven right now, because it's just going to be so much better!"

Immediately, Rachel, with a shocked look on her face, said, "WHAT?! Well what if Heaven doesn't even exist? And what about all the atheists?" To that I simply replied, "Well I believe that it exists, and when I die, that's where I'm going, because I believe in Jesus." That's pretty much where the conversation ended, and Rachel didn't really say much after that. She just kind of looked down and changed the subject. But as I was walking back to where she and her cousin, Paige, were standing, Paige kind of looked at me and whispered, "Me too."

Anyway, it was kind of an interesting little conversation. I'm actually really hoping to get to talk to Rachel more about Jesus now that I basically threw the whole, "I wanna die and go to Heaven" thing at her out of nowhere. I don't know what's going to come of it, but I do know that being faithful to God by planting seeds of the Good News of Jesus into people's hearts and minds means that God will give me the words and love to speak His Truth.

So basically I got my first glimpse today of what it's like to openly and proudly declare the love of Jesus and His great power and love and mercy when it's not wanted, which is what I'm supposed to do. It was a little weird, but that first step gave me all the more confidence to be bold about my faith and bold about my awesome God! :D

On that note, I am SO CLOSE to being done with Jesus For President. I think I'm actually going to try and finish it tonight, because I really only have a teensy tiny bit left. It has truly been an inspiring book and I encourage anyone, if they can get their hands on a copy and some spare time, to read it, cover to cover, footnotes, appendixes, and all. Tomorrow I will be moving on to either City On Our Knees by Toby Mac, or Own Your Faith by...someone. Hehe.

And now, 60 seconds praising Jesus for:

tables
chairs
napkins
glasses
doors
skies
mountains
oceans
seat belts
pockets
change
checks
envelopes
people
family
friends
babies
electricity
google
tanktops
pianos
Canada
lamps
ribbons
numbers
pi
teachers

Side note: I am so beyond grateful for EVERY teacher I've ever had, and teachers I've never had, who profess their faith in Jesus Christ. I know it's forbidden in public schools, but I can't wait to spread the love of Jesus like a wildfire when I become a teacher. Jesus constantly pushed boundaries, and I cannot say 'thank you' enough to my teachers who have done that. I'm thinking of one in particular who actually fueled my desire to become a math teacher and to do it well for Jesus! God calls us to readily proclaim the Gospel in everything that we do, and if we're not doing it in our jobs, then maybe we need a new job. Or to redefine our jobs. And if we get fired, we are martyrs for Christ. Without the whole dying part. Though that has happened before.

Hymn count: (approximately) 492; hoping to get past the 500 mark tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment