Monday, December 5, 2011

Following Your Heart

This, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is the wrong way to live your life. I mean sure, there are times when you should "go with your gut" or "trust your instincts" but you're really not supposed to follow your heart.

Why? Because God tells us that "...from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly." (Mark 7:21-22)

I don't know, I guess I was just kind of thinking about it because a friend posed the question of our hearts following our heads or our heads following our hearts. I'm still not sure I quite know the answer to that one, but I do know what God says about our hearts being deceitful.

The way I see it (which, mind you, is subject to being indisputably wrong) our hearts are full of evil and all these things mentioned in Mark, and that's why God wants us to let Him in there--to fix all the corruptness that happens in our hearts as a result of a number of things: temptation, sin, the usual.

So that means, I think, that we have to use our heads to decide whether or not we want to accept Jesus into our hearts as our Lord and Savior, pray to Him to soften our hearts so we can let Him in, but the decision is all brain power; it's a choice that takes some extent of logic (granted, faith is not based on logic, but the knowledge and the belief that God created everything and therefore can save us and give us a better, eternal life in heaven. But that's a different issue).

I guess this is just my way of figuring out for myself (and maybe my friend) how the heart and head coincide when it comes to accepting what Christ has to offer us, and how one can overpower the other, and how we are to conduct each one.

Any who, the song for today is Battle by Chris August (and I like it MUCHO).

No comments:

Post a Comment