Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Someone, Please Save Us: Us College Kids

I'm obsessed with this song by Relient K. It's called "College Kids" and it's just really funny. Especially since I just got to college. And of course, I decided to blog about my college experience thus far.

I moved in to VT on Thursday morning, and my roommate right after me. It was great. We exchanged pleasantries, hugs, handshakes between her and her family and my mom, and we started setting up shop right away! It was fun, as we decided how we were going to arrange everything, and decorate everything. Her bed is lofted, and she put her desk and little bookshelf underneath, mine is about half way up the wall so the 3-drawer dresser can fit under it, but it's still low enough to where I can jump into bed. It's wonderful.

We bought curtains, and a rug, and a chair, and we each have our own set of little decorations, which kind of actually match, and we have our pictures at our desks and whatnot, and it's super cute. There are 2 closets, with a sink and a mirror in between. It's been working so far.

Oh yeah, and there's a fan that sits at the window, and she has a little one clipped to her bed. It's quite warm in the summer with no air conditioning. Oh, and our fridge is in that corner as well.

We do not have a TV, and I am very fortunate of that.

Her name is Allie. She is my roommate. And after 5 days, she's my very dear friend.

We spent the first few days before classes getting to know each other, and meeting each other's friends, and exploring campus and the good places to eat, and fixing our room just the way we wanted it. (Also we're close to the same size, so that could come in handy at some point).

Well, I started classes Monday (yesterday) with Calculus at 8 am. Yes, I love calculus, but no, I don't like getting up early, then falling asleep in class because I forgot to get coffee. After calc I had Music Theory/Harmony followed by Sight Singing which were in the same classroom, different teacher. They were okay. I'll just need to pay attention and keep up. After that I had about a 40-50 minute break before I went to Philosophy: Morality and Justice. I'm not a fan so far, but we'll see how that plays out.

Today (Tuesday) I had my second day of classes. Vector Geometry was at 8 am, and I hated it. I fell asleep at least 9 times, and got almost nothing out of it, only to find out that he doesn't require attendance to lectures, but only to recitations. So I can go to the recitation, ask questions there, and take the weekly test after that. Anyway, after that I had a break for a while until 12:30 when I had psychology which only lasted 20 minutes because today was just an intro. I don't see that class being entirely too difficult. Then at 2:00 I had to go to a weekly convocation for music majors which was just informative stuff, and directly after book it across campus to Intro to a Research University (which will be easy, but it's so completely pointless).

Wednesday is the same as Monday, but with an extra hour of Geometry recitation.
Thursday is the same as Tuesday with psychology instead of geometry, and without a convocation (and plus a piano meeting this week).
Friday is the same as Monday but with a philosophy recitation instead of the actual class.
I still have yet to sign up for my 2 different piano times, so I'll post those as soon as I know. Chances are they're going to make my schedule even crazier (p.s. I'm taking 20 credit hours this semester).

ANYWAY. Besides all of that, my overall college experience has been a good one these last few days. My roommate and I have gotten along great, and I'm pretty sure it's going to continue that way. I believe that we'll become really great friends.

More on my roommate: we've already had some intense bonding experiences. We've done a lot of stuff together, eaten meals together, walked around and hung out together, but today is when we kind of began/defined our friendship.

You see, she's been feeling really homesick, like the whole time she's been here. And I mean, I kind of could tell that she was a little, because she told me she's super close to her family and all this other stuff, but I didn't think a whole lot (I say that loosely) about it until today. She had one class, and it was over at like 10:45, and by the time she got back to the room I was already back from my 8 am which ended at 9:15. So we're sitting at our desks just doing our own things, stressing as normal, and then she turned kind of in the middle of her frustration with "classes" and basically just said I'm feeling really homesick.

So I let her cry it out for almost an hour I think, trying to comfort her but mostly just being there. I tried to be a good friend, I really did. But then I had to go to class, but I made sure to check up on her, and then I got back and it was basically okay (I mean she's still not great, but she wasn't super upset). Then I left to do my thing and she did hers, and when I got back she was already there, and she was upset again, I think on the phone with her family. After that, I was like all right girl, we're going to the bookstore and getting sleeping pills right now (because she's been having trouble sleeping as well). So we did, and basically we just talked about life and each other along the way, and I think this little breakdown of ours was the beginning of a very understanding and compassionate relationship.

Well anyway, she took her sleeping pill at approximately 10:35, and she looks like she's been asleep pretty solidly for about a half hour, so hopefully when she gets up in the morning she will have slept through the night.

Anyway, college is great, I'm going to be super stressed at some point most likely very soon, but I've got tons of support, and a mostly level head that's helping me actually get my work done.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, please lift up your prayers for my roommate that she may find peace and come to know that God is taking care of her even while she's away from her family. Pray for me as well, that I can somehow be there for her in a way that's helpful to her.

On a lighter note, I'm not behind yet, and I've yet to fail anything! :D

Song of the moment: Salvation is Here, by Hillsong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzXMVk6FOs



No comments:

Post a Comment