Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Week of Lasts

Since the beginning of the 2010-2011 school year I've gone through a whole list of things I will do "for the last time". I went to my last high school football game (as a student), my last Homecoming dance, my last 5th Quarter (as a student), my last Fall Retreat (as a student), my last D-Now (as a student), my last Prom, my last high school play, and the list goes on and on.

But this week is different.

This past Wednesday I went to my last C.Re.W. (Christians in the Real World, youth). I also went to the pediatric dentist for the last time (which is actually quite funny). Also on Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I saw my best friend Emily for the last time before we go to college. I didn't even realize it.

Tonight I went to the eXtreme (Sunday night youth) planning get together which we do basically every Saturday, and we planned for weeks I'm not even going to be in youth any more. It was an odd feeling to say the least. But this was my last one. The rest of them will continue on, but I won't.

I'll be in college.

Tomorrow night is my last eXtreme ever as a student, and honestly I don't think I'm even going to realize it or feel it tomorrow night. It's what I've done every Sunday night for the past 7 years, so why should this one feel any different? It won't be until I come back and experience it again from the other side that I realize how truly incredible it was.

Monday will be the last time I babysit for the summer.
Monday will also be the last day I see friends, Alexa and Kate, before college.
Tuesday will be the last day I see my friend Jasmine before college.
Wednesday will be the last time I see my sister before college.
Wednesday will also be the last time I go to Frogurt before college.
Wednesday will, most importantly, be the last time I see my best friend, Christie, before we go to college.
Wednesday night will be the last time I sleep in my bed until October 7th.
Thursday will be the last time I drive away as a "high school student".

Needless to say, I have a lot of feelings.

But they're good feelings, mostly:
I feel excited, to continue my life's journey.
I feel relieved, to be getting rid of some of high school's baggage.
I feel happy, that my very first class is Calculus II.
I feel okay, about making new friends.
I feel sad, to be leaving my friends, but I feel hopeful because I know that I'll see them again.
I feel calm, about changing everything about the way I live my life.
I feel at peace, with starting over with people, but continuing in Christ.

I've just been doing a lot of "flashbacks" this week with the songs we listened to in grades 6-12, the movies we saw, the videos we watched, the phrases we repeated, the things we did. I have a lot of good memories (and a lot of funny pictures to prove it), and they're what will keep me going. Remembering the good times, and making more good times.

Well, that's all I have to say. I suppose the next time I post I'll be living in a dorm, so sayonara from the "old" Katie! (:

Song of the moment: Billy Brown by Third Day, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06NZu2tmLc


No comments:

Post a Comment