Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Reminders of Old, Simple Joys

First, I would like to make known that I have been thoroughly annoyed beyond capacity by stinkbugs.

But that has nothing to do with this post.

Today in the TOV was something I like to refer to as the GREATEST day of the year. I look forward to today more than Christmas; it's so much fun! The Vinton Dogwood Festival has taken place every year (for the last 56 years) and I have gone every year I've lived here.

It's hard to describe it so that another person feels the same amount of joy and excitement and contentment that I do with this day, but I will try to put it in words because after all, it is the greatest day of the year.

This town embodies, to me, everything that is old fashioned and southern and humble and generous and inviting, and at the same time modern and busy and CRAZY. It's essentially my home town. And this one day of every year brings together every town's resident and then some so we can celebrate our history, our town, our lives, each other.
It starts with a 5k race whose proceeds go toward our youth choir's annual summer mission trip. It's so much fun to watch the runners because you have the ones who go hard and really want to win (first place this year got under 18 minutes) and then you have those who just did it to help raise money, and come in second to last with 55 minutes. Nevertheless, you cheer them all on because they are the town. They are you.

Then you've got all the vendors. You have probably close to 100 different vendors selling various homemade items ranging from necklaces and bags to marshmallow guns and baby tu-tus, who fill the church parking lot. The road behind the church is lined with all the different food (I had cotton candy for breakfast, and a philly cheesesteak for lunch). You've also got people setting up shop along the next street leading to the Farmers' Market where the Kidz Zone is located and a bunch of different music groups perform (like our school's jazz band). You get all this before noon!

Next is something that didn't really become important to me until this year: the Dogwood Queen. Each year 10 seniors from our school are nominated by teachers to be a Dogwood Princess (you know, the basic exemplary character and president of every single club? Yeah, those girls). I was very close to several of the girls this year, so I went up to the War Memorial to watch the crowning and to see who won. Alas, my favorite to win did not get the crown, but I'm quite pleased with the recipient and I'm really happy for her!

And then (dramatic pause...suspenseful music...) THE PARADE!

Goodness, I just love watching the parade. You've got it all. There are the Senators, the Town Council, over-sized heads of famous people, Chik-fil-A cow, clowns on stilts, baton twirlers, TWO marching bands, horses, dogs, the Dogwood Court, Manna Ministries, the Pooh Patrol (my personal favorite: they follow the horses in Pooh and Tigger costumes) and it's just great. Not to mention that sitting on the curb makes for some sick tan/burn lines!

Anyway, I would just like to give a shout out to our little slice of heaven in the TOV. It's the perfect little town, and I could not ask to be a part of a greater community!

Song of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Du-CWASm20 (:

No comments:

Post a Comment