Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coffee, and Other Necessities

Two weeks. I have two weeks left. That's right, Easter is in two weeks and I will officially be able to break my fast of coffee and facebook. Just to clarify, that's because I gave them both up for Lent.

The last month or so that I and some of my close friends decided to make sacrifices to grow closer to God we've been able to experience a slew of different emotions and revelations and what not, and it's been pretty interesting. I've had a chance to reflect on that, and I realized that God is a heck of a more concerned with the condition of our hearts than He is with whether or not we do things to try to get on His good side. That probably doesn't make much sense.

I (fairly) recently became slightly addicted to coffee. More specifically, I became addicted to coffee when I participated in my first show with the William Byrd Players' Drama Department. Anyway, suffice it to say that I ended up needing coffee to survive (and it was helping me do better in physics, too). I originally decided to give it up because it was something I was dependent on instead of being fully, undividedly, devotedly dependent on God to provide and help me get through (and stay awake). This frightened me. However, now that I've gotten a chance to reflect, I feel like coffee can be okay. Granted, I haven't had it in over a month, and so I'm a little withdrawn, but nevertheless I feel that while this experience has certainly gotten me one step closer to being cured of coffee's unruly evil and deadly poison, it's not something I need to live without for the rest of my life.

Basically, that little rant about my experience with Lent was just to inform anyone who's interested that I have finally discovered for myself what it means to take everything for what it is and to "indulge in moderation". God and prayer and His Word are the only things we can never get too much of, and I love that I've been able to find that out for myself.

Plus, the 3rd and 4th graders who memorized the books of the Bible certainly helped encourage me to focus on what's important.

Here's my semi-relevant song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVlnHT8OkQQ

John 14:6

No comments:

Post a Comment