Wednesday, October 23, 2013

1 Corinthians 1 (part 3)

I want to let the Scripture do most of the talking tonight. It's really beautiful.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31
"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are migthty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--that, as it is written, 'He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.'"

Dude. This gives me so much hope - hope in the fact that God will use me for His glory despite the fact that I am not worthy, not good enough, can't do anything on my own. Not that just that He will use me, but He will use me because I am weak but trust in Him. His strength is perfected in my weakness because I am humbling myself to Him and not boasting in my own abilities.

It takes me back to the book of Judges which we studied at the BCM for part of last semester. Each judge we encountered was weak, doubted God, failed, stumbled, and yet God used them to bring salvation to the Israelites. The parallel, of course, was that one day God would send The Judge to redeem the sins of all people so that there was no other name by which anyone could be saved. This man, Jesus Christ, was perfect and yet was humbled to a sinner's death. That humility that was modeled for us by the only being worthy of boasting in Himself, therefore who are we to say we are mighty in ourselves?

God is humbling me daily, and blowing my mind all the time. Be encouraged, that we never grow where we're comfortable, and God will use those who humbly seek Him and yearn to glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment