Monday, October 21, 2013

1 Corinthians 1 Part 2

Tonight I focused on 1 Corinthians 1:10-25 - totally blew my mind, regardless of the fact that I've read several times.

It brings up an interesting point about denominations in my mind. It's not that they're a bad thing, but Paul is saying that divisions within a church body are bad. Instead, we're supposed to come together as an entire body of Christ when it comes to defending the big things (or the one thing) that we all agree on, namely, that Jesus Christ is Lord and the only way to the Father is through Him. The secondary stuff comes into play when you're identifying with denominations, but that's not the point of this passage.

I love the idea of joining together with other believers from different backgrounds of faith and culture to unite in the love of Christ. At the church I worked at this summer, every service was ended by singing a song called "The Bond of Love" that said, "We are one in the bond of love; we are one in the bond of love; we have joined our spirit with the Spirit of God; we are one in the bond of love." I think it embodies this idea that Paul is talking about perfectly. Why quarrel over things that are not doing productive things to further the Gospel and show grace and love and mercy to people in the name of Jesus?

The next section is AWESOME and I love it. It's about the wisdom of men versus the wisdom of God. I just need to write out verse 18 for you - "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." HOW INCREDIBLE IS THAT? We have this power given to us by God because we believe in Jesus' death and resurrection and His ability to save us from ourselves and give us eternal life. But to other people that makes NO SENSE. The next part of this passage, verses 19-25 explain that we truly know nothing compared to the omniscience of God the Father. The only true wisdom we have is given to us by the Holy Spirit, and is inspired by Scripture and gained from a relationship with Jesus. The things the world knows are foolish.

This is mind-blowing to me. It's crazy that in a world where education is valued so highly and intellect is necessary to be successful or to not be looked down upon, that really all those things are foolish when you think of the majesty of God and the depths to which He knows everything, including each of our hearts. Worldly intellect will try to tell us that we don't need a Savior, that this world makes sense without a higher power, i.e. God, and that anything we have the ability to do is because we worked for it and we can make it on our own. That is all false! We need a Savior because we are so wretched and sinful. We need grace every single day, especially when we get prideful about the things we know. If there's one thing I do know, it's that there's no way I can make it on my own. I don't know how other people do it - people who don't know the Hope of Christ and can find joy in salvation. How do people think they can handle it all? On a more general level, how does anyone expect to try and do things without people helping them or supporting them or encouraging them? I HAVE NO IDEA!

Anyway. I was thinking about wisdom while I was taking a shower before I read this, so it's cool that I ran into this tonight. If I ever boast, it will only be in my weaknesses and the power of the cross. Any wisdom you hear from me was given to me by God. In my weakness He is made stronger. Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment