Friday, January 20, 2012

S t i l l

"Be still and know that I AM God."

Psalm 46:10

I had to turn off my music so I wouldn't get distracted. This tends to happen.

When is the last time any of us (I) sat down and completed an entire task - one of great importance, of course - without trying to multi-task or get distracted or think about other things, or decide that it could be put off until later?

I am familiar with those of this great diligence, and I revere them. I, however, am not one of these people.

This is a bad thing.

God calls us to be wholeheartedly devoted to everything that we do, and that especially means Him - reading his Word, talking to Him, obeying Him, worshipping Him with our lives rather than just our words. Of course, there are ways that we can practice this kind of discipline in our "non-spiritual" lives as well. For me, it's homework, schoolwork, practicing my instruments, keeping up with people, putting others before myself in such a way that it becomes natural and I become more dedicated to them and less dedicated to myself.

My phone just notified me that I had a text message. It was from Twitter. I stopped writing to read it.

What's it going to take to cut out the distractions? The noise? The clatter, the busyness, the ways in which the world (Satan) is trying to throw us off course and keep us from doing what we know we should be doing?

If we are truly still, and meditating on God's love and His person - with the phones turned off, the computers closed, the music off, the TV unplugged - I suspect we will find that He IS, in fact, the One who really matters when it comes to what's important in life. Even our thoughts get in the way, sometimes. When they do, let them venture to God, forming into prayer and supplication; petitioning to God for the thoughts in your head, and the things going on in your life.

Don't avoid what's happening.

Take a step back, sit in the silence (maybe even the dark), and just talk to God. He will listen. He always listens. He is listening. He is.

For me, it's going to start with turning off the music and the phone when I do my homework. When I finish my homework, I will have forgotten all about the music and the fact that I haven't gotten a text message in about an hour. I will pray. Sit and talk to God. Ask for forgiveness for all the times I've screwed up and forgotten to give Him praise. All the times I've blamed Him for the wrong in my life. All the times I've forgotten Him during the good in my life.

I will be still

I will listen

I will be silent

And I will know

That HE

IS GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment